Fish Oil, I take twice a day + my Trazadone and other meds

22 Sep 2011, 15:11 #1

from Daniel K. Hall-Flavin, M.D.Fish oil supplements may help ease symptoms of depression in some people. As with prescription antidepressants, fish oil appears most helpful for severe symptoms 
Fish oil is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, which play an important role in brain function. People with depression may have low blood levels of brain chemicals called eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA) and docosahexaenoic acid (DHA). These chemicals are found in fish oil. The best dose of fish oil isn't clear, but it appears that supplements containing 100 to 300 milligrams of either EPA or a combination of EPA and DHA may be helpful in relieving depression.
Supplements aren't the only way to get more omega-3s. Eating fish a few times a week may be the best way to provide your body with enough of these healthy oils. Fish high in omega-3s include sardines, mackerel, salmon, snapper, trout, and canned white tuna. Shellfish, including mussels and oysters, also contain omega-3s.
Fish oil isn't considered a replacement for treatment of depression, but it may be helpful as an addition to prescribed medications or other treatment. Although more studies are needed to determine exactly what role omega-3 fatty acids play in depression, it's still a good idea to get enough of these healthy oils. Omega-3s help protect heart health and appear to have other health benefits.

rosemajik

22 Sep 2011, 19:34 #2

Hubby just got the fish oil added by his MH a couple weeks ago... Just wish they didnt smell! LOL

22 Sep 2011, 19:51 #3

Rose, I always take any meds and vitamins with food. Especially fish. I keep Saltine crackers for the Trazadone at night and if I forget to take my meds with the fish oil on time at breakfast or supper. Just eat a cracker, take the meds and fish oil and eat another cracker or 2. It really helps with keeping the fish oil from coming back up in your throat, which is nasty. Hope this helps. Image

ChuLai66

22 Sep 2011, 20:05 #4

i take is odorless its from Natures Bounty, 1200 mg /omega 3&6, i do try to take before or after eating but when i dont i dont get that bad back burn
                    USMC
              DEC 63 APR 73
    -------o00o---°(_)°---o00o------

rosemajik

22 Sep 2011, 23:09 #5

thanks for the advice will definitely pass it on to hubby....

brewha44

27 Aug 2012, 20:56 #6

Fish oil is fantastic for many problems! Great to see more people supporting it. It cut my triglycerides in half and raised my HDL. It also  helps keep me calm.
Easy way to prevent the smell is freeze the capsule so it opens in the small intestine instead of the stomach.  It also seems to calm my reflux down.The government recommends 4 grams a day. I only take about 2.Image

ChuLai66

27 Aug 2012, 22:02 #7

for the freezer tip, even tho mine is orderless on a bad reflux day i can taste the fish.
                    USMC
              DEC 63 APR 73
    -------o00o---°(_)°---o00o------

nmfxstc

28 Aug 2012, 22:56 #8

Be judicious.....read about Fish Oil and prostate cancers!
Life's too short to worry;
Life's too long to wait!
(Birth is a beginning; death the destination.
Enjoy the Ride and the Journey)

brewha44

29 Aug 2012, 18:12 #9

I take Turmeric with my salmon oil at night time before bed. Turmeric can stop the progression and cause cancer cell death in many cancers, including prostate. So hopefully i have covered my back side!

jpapa

30 Aug 2012, 16:50 #10

I have other meds including Vitamin D & Calcium...I tried to take Fish Oil stomach went southImageImage
Honor Bound To Defend Freedom! Image  Image

Retired USN
100% SC/P&T
SSDI
DAV Life Member                                          
                                                      Image