Lost DD214 NOT at National Personnel Records Center

Joined: 28 Apr 2014, 18:36

28 Apr 2014, 18:36 #1

Hello Folks,
I am a long time reader and love this forum, always learn something I didn't know.  My topic of the day is where or how to request a DD214, when there is NOT a copy of it at the National Personnel Records Center? 
Background:  I ran into this guy whom I served with, about decade ago.  He said life is good, but he has some health issues going on.  I asked if health issues related to service, he says yes, so naturally I asked if the VA was taking care of him, he no.  I said how come, because I get really good care.  He said he never filed a claim.  I offered to help.  When I asked for his DD214 he gave me copy of the worksheet (DD214WS, the "draft" you get like a day before you get the real one)  I told him this was not good enough, I needed the original.  Long story short, I requested his records for him from the National Personnel Records Center (NPRC), TWICE  and NO DD214.  He thinks that he may have skipped his last appointment to pick it up!! He is a mess.  All his information is on the draft form, he served from 1996-2004.  How or where do I start, to get a DD214 issued for this guy.  He served over 8 years and his DD214WS says he was discharged "Honorable" (block 24) and he did not have a Reserve obligation.  Any body??  I would take anything, any POC.  Now I am intrigued, because I cannot find his guys' DD214.
Thank you kindly, in advance of your comments.

Joined: 26 Dec 2010, 17:56

28 Apr 2014, 20:11 #2

Replacing Your DD Form214

If you are a veteran or next-of-kin of a deceased veteran, you can order
a copy of your DD Form 214 from the National Personnel Records Center's
online military personnel records system at http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrec...
The web-based application is designed to provide better service by
eliminating mailroom processing time. All other requests for replacement
copies are made by submitting a Military Records Request (SF 180) to
the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records
(NPRC-MPR). Complete information for submitting requests can be found on
the NPRC-MPR website. If you do not have access to the website or SF
180, you can submit your request in writing. Include your complete name,
social security number, branch of service, dates of service, place of
discharge, return address and the reason for the request in your

Send your request:

National Personnel Records Center

Military Personnel Records

9700 Page Avenue

St. Louis, MO 63132-5100

Contact Informationt:

Phone: (314) 801-0800

Fax: (314) 801-9195

Email: [email protected]
You could also try this site to see what you can find: http://www.archives.gov/veterans/milita ... e-records/
Last edited by smitty0311 on 28 Apr 2014, 20:20, edited 1 time in total.
USMC 1969 - 1973
Vietnam 69 -70
Echo 2/3 Semper Fi