medical evidence

ceje

24 May 2011, 03:06 #1

My husband went in for Neurologist appt today. They tested his hands and feet. No feeling in the feet and half way up the leg. No feeling in the hands and part way up the arm. They did a pin test. They also had him stand and close his eyes. Within a few seconds he started to fall over. The Dr said this happened because he has no feeling in his feet.  They also tested his arms for strength. Not much strength because of shoulder and upper arm pains. Would you say this is the medical evidence the VA is looking for to approve his request for IU?  Dr said the hand tremors were not caused from the DB or the PN. They do not know what is causing them. They also said they are sure he does not have PD. That was good to hear. He is also going to add PTSD to his claim.

ChuLai66

24 May 2011, 09:32 #2

Id think it would give him 100% & IU but im a lay man and the VA can twist things around, good luck.
                    USMC
              DEC 63 APR 73
    -------o00o---°(_)°---o00o------

MCL

24 May 2011, 10:44 #3

Ceje

Catch me up. Sounds like a severe case of PN. Has he been diagnosed for PN and if so has it been awarded yet? ? Wouldn't the PTSD at this point slow claim down to a crawl.

Mickey

smitty0311

24 May 2011, 10:45 #4

ceje,
It sounds to me like the appointment went well for your husband as far as the claim for IU goes. Sounds like a no brainer to me.Image The doctor adding PTSD also is a plus! My doctor told me they have four days after an exam to get the information / results submitted so hopefully things will move quickly.
Just remember as each day goes by it's more money in the bank. Image
Jeff
USMC 1969 - 1973
Vietnam 69 -70
Echo 2/3 Semper Fi

24 May 2011, 12:41 #5

ceje wrote:My husband went in for Neurologist appt today. They tested his hands and feet. No feeling in the feet and half way up the leg. No feeling in the hands and part way up the arm. They did a pin test. They also had him stand and close his eyes. Within a few seconds he started to fall over. The Dr said this happened because he has no feeling in his feet.  They also tested his arms for strength. Not much strength because of shoulder and upper arm pains. Would you say this is the medical evidence the VA is looking for to approve his request for IU?  Dr said the hand tremors were not caused from the DB or the PN. They do not know what is causing them. They also said they are sure he does not have PD. That was good to hear. He is also going to add PTSD to his claim.
Ceje, just remember PN can be caused by many things, CTS, Spinal problems and I am sure I am missing a few. Enjoy Life!!

ceje

24 May 2011, 15:02 #6

Stormy, He does not have any spine problems or CTS.
He does get disability for the PH. He gets 20 % for each foot and left hand and 30% for right hand. It is the IU that has been denied twice. He will be taking to his VSO this week or next week and trying again for the IU.  He might wait until after next Wednesday when he has another appt for the Psychiatrist. They also are checking on why he has lost a lot of strengh in his arms and shoulders. Dr. thought that might be from taking a statin drug for a long time. All of this is why he is going from riding a 2 wheel Harley to riding a Harley Trike.  It should be in this week. 

Daman

24 May 2011, 19:54 #7

CeJe

Hate to be the one who breaks bad news but while the info the doctor gave him does not hurt, it is of limited help.

You need a doctor to flat out say he is not employable because of....(his disabilities).

I HAD to retire from my position in Law Enforcement because I could not load bullets into my magazine and still meet the time requirements. While the doctor put that in writting the VA stated I was still employable because I could seek a NON Armed position. Yea, possability but also a dramatic cut in pay, plus not too many agencies willing to take you in when you are already disabled and just waiting to draw a retirement . VA did not care stated I was still able to work.

I also get 10% for each foot and 20% for each arm.
TET 68 survivor

ceje

24 May 2011, 20:37 #8

You see that is the problem.  We have a note from the Private Dr. And that says that because of his SC disabilities he is not able to work any longer. They still denied it because they said there was no medical evidence to support the claim. His Va dr will not write a note. It is the C & P Dr that stated he could do sedatary work using his hands. This does not make any sense.
So were you able to get IU?

24 May 2011, 22:08 #9

http://www.medicinenet.com/pulmonary_hy ... rticle.htm  is this what he has? If he is SC he should at the very lest file for an increase. Especially if it is getting worse. Meds for this can and will cause the symptoms you listed, well as PH., which their is no cure for, like IHD. Sorry I miss understood ya. Enjoy Life!!

ceje

24 May 2011, 22:25 #10

No. I don't think he has that. He has had high blood pressure for quite a few years but they did a stress test and said his heart is fine. Mostly what is wrong is the DB and the PN.  They don't know why his hands shake and they don't know why he has pain in his shoulders and arms. They think the pain might be because of the Statin drugs he has been taking.